What is Mental Health Recovery?
Recovery is not the same as a cure.
Here, we believe that recovery means being able to create and live a meaningful life and contribute to our community, even with our mental health issues.
– LetsConnect Project
WWTBYH RESOURCE LIBRARY
On this Website you can find all the resources that were posted on the WWTBYH Page, organized by:
1. The TOPIC or CONDITION of the brain disorder (e.g. Bipolar2 Disorder, Depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, etc.) or
2. The TYPE of the resources (e.g. article, video, scientific paper, etc).
I received my graduate degree in Business Management from Capilano University, Canada. I attended the program on a full scholarship. After graduation, I built my career teaching Entrepreneurship at University.
The Storm ⛈
In early 2013 I fell into a severe depression bout, and once, I almost died of suicide. I survived the storm and reached recovery by the end of 2016 because of the support I got from compassionate online peer supporters, a knowledgeable psychiatrist, and a dedicated therapist. My therapist was a lady from Sweden.
Having gone through the experience, I noticed that there was so much we can do to improve the mental health support system, especially by utilizing technology and the internet.
I decided to take a sabbatical from teaching to be a mental health and recovery advocate. I created You’re Not Alone, an Online Support Group with over 2,000 members worldwide, and WorkWithTheBrainYouHave, a Facebook Page on living well with mental illness with over 58,000 followers. Many of my followers come from Canada, the USA, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and Europe.
Caring for the people on the Page and the Group, I realized that mental health support delivered through telehealth is as effective as in person.
Moreover, technology enables us to deliver mental health services to people living in remote areas.
I started to design LetsConnect in 2018, and with the help of my team of student programmers, we turned the design into reality. LetsConnect platforms are now ready to use.
LetsConnect mission is to make mental health support available for anyone, anywhere.
LetsConnect is a for-profit Social Venture, which means the primacy of our objective is to solve social problems and provide social benefits.
We chose to design LetsConnect as a for profit company because we want to ensure its existence by not solely depending on donors’ funding.
are Non-Profit Projects of Sophia Athena
🌻 HANG IN THERE is Sophia’s blog. Sometimes she likes to share her thoughts 💭 on things 🌻 .
1. Sophia Athena is not a doctor or a medical professional. Sophia is a trained scientist and researcher by trade. This website is a collection of resources Sophia found through research during her journey towards recovery. She decided to share her findings with the hope that these resources and information will help others as they did for her.
2. Please do not self-diagnose. You must see a mental health professional in order to get a proper diagnosis.
3. The information and resources provided on this website are for reference purposes only.