pic credit: 🌻 Sophs
Sometimes we can be put in this situation, and we don’t know what to do. Below are some suggestions on how to be effective in dealing with the situation.
• Reach out
• Ask questions
• Show that you care
• Encourage your friend to talk
• Listens without making judgements
• Talk openly about suicide
• Remain calm
• Suggest people you can both turn to
• Know your limits
• Get help
• Act quickly if you think your friend is in danger
• Make your friend’s problem sound unimportant
• Act shocked
• Keep your friend’s suicide plans secret
• Ask your friend to think about how his or her suicide would make others feel
• Try to take any weapon away from your friend
• Leave your friend alone when he or she is in crisis
• Give up hope
Credit: The Power to Prevent Suicide : A Guide for Teens Helping Teens by Richard E. Nelson, Ph.D., and Judith C. Galas.
background photo credit: Gerrit Vermeulen on Unsplash.